Our teeth and gums need different things as we get older. Find out how to give your smile the care it deserves.
While there are a lot of wonderful benefits to our golden years (isn’t retirement grand?) there are also some things that we should be aware of. Our oral health is just one thing that can change rather rapidly if you aren’t careful. We know that you want to retain your natural teeth for the rest of your life and our Upper East Side, NY, dentists are here to make sure you are providing the very best care for healthy teeth and gums.
Maintaining good oral hygiene is important for everyone, no matter their age; however, it’s particularly imperative that you put your routine under the microscope to see if there are any changes that need to be made. After all, one problem can easily affect your appearance or how your teeth function.
The medicines you’ve been prescribed can also lead to issues like dry mouth or increase your chances of other dental problems. Here are just some measures you should take every day:
- Brush at least twice a day (ideally, you should brush after every meal or snack) and make sure you are flossing everyday. You may want to consider using antibacterial toothpaste, which can reduce the amount of plaque buildup on your teeth.
- If you suffer from dry mouth talk to our Upper East Side general dentist about ways to combat it.
- Eat a healthy diet that is limited in sugar, starches, sodas and sports drinks, and processed junk foods.
- If you lose a tooth make sure that you seek treatment right away so that bone loss and other complications don’t happen to you.
- Avoid tobacco and limit alcohol consumption, which can greatly increase your risk of gum disease and oral cancer.
- Visit our dentist twice a year for checkups, exams and professional cleanings.
Have questions about caring for your smile? Worried you might be dealing with dental problems? Need to schedule a routine dental cleaning in the Upper East Side, NY? We are happy to provide patients of all ages with the individualized dental care they deserve. Schedule an appointment today!