What your orthodontist in New York, NY, serving the Upper East Side wants you to know.
You are on your way to a straight smile thanks to your new set of braces. Braces take some getting used to, and that’s normal, but you may also have an orthodontic emergency along the way to your straight smile. Your dentists at Upper East Smiles in New York, NY, want you to know how to take care of your orthodontic emergency. They proudly serve the residents of the Upper East Side and they can help you too.
It’s important to know when to seek out the help of your dentist or orthodontist. If you experience any of these conditions, you need to visit your dentist as soon as possible:
- Infection or swelling of your face, mouth, or gums
- Trauma or an injury to your face, mouth, or teeth
- Increasingly severe, unmanageable pain
There are many orthodontic problems that you can treat yourself until you can get in to see the dentist. If you have:
- Loose or broken brackets caused by eating hard or sticky foods; you can cover the damaged bracket with orthodontic wax. The wax will prevent the sharp bracket from irritating your cheeks, gums or tongue.
- Wires that poke your mouth as a result of your teeth beginning to move; try using a Q-tip to move the wire around until it’s in a comfortable position. You can also use a nail clipper to carefully cut off the end of the wire.
- Discomfort or pain from your teeth moving; try using warm salt water rinses twice each day along with applying heat to your jaw. In addition, take Tylenol or another over-the-counter pain relief medication as needed.
Orthodontic emergencies happen unexpectedly and it’s important to know what to do in case you have a problem with your braces. Remember that help is just a phone call away. When you experience an orthodontic or general dental emergency, call your orthodontist at Upper East Smiles in New York, NY, serving the residents of the Upper East Side. Call today!